Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Feelings and Relationships


Relationships and feelings have always been important to me -- especially with family and friends. The essence of a relationship consists of being open -- enlightened -- with another person who enhances you and allows you to grow and develop. The way that I approach any relationship is how can I enrich the other person by giving from my soul and sharing my thoughts and feelings with them. We must remember that we cannot live our lives through another individual be it friends, lifemates, or children. It is only when we are whole and full of love and forgiveness that we can enter fully into a relationship. This reminds me of a song by Pete Seager that says:

"We are the boat
We are the sea
I sail in you
You sail in me"

What ones needs in a relationship with yourself or with another individual is a sense of connection, knowledge of your inner essence that makes you come alive. One should feel centered so that communication with others becomes like the flow of a mountain stream that sings in the early morning sunlight. We become centered in a relationship when we exchange energy that aligns body, mind, and spirit into balance. For a relationship to become centered with a spirituality of oneness flowing between the partners, we need to become centered as individuals so that we love who we are and have a commitment to personal growth. It is only then that we can have a centered relationship that is devoid of control and manipulation. And as many people have said, relationships take time and commitment to one another and those around you.

Being centered within a relationship does not depend on the other person. Rather it is a quality of wholeness that we bring to that person. You are appreciating them from your inner soul and your heart. You are aware of yourself, the essence of the other person and the immense universe of possibilities around you. And, in many ways a long term relationship gives us an opportunity to learn important lessons and to grow the world around us. We are in a relationship for the opportunity of discovering and creating who we really are, as well as giving and supporting the other partner's goal of discovery and understanding who they are. A centered relationship should have no conditions or expectations that hinder each person's role to live life to its fullest. In such a relationship each one will be a true loving friend who will always be there.

My feelings are deep and true, for all the people around me. I have been taught to give from the heart. I care deeply about the feeling of others and try to give them a gentle push to grow and understand themselves a little better.

And, I leave you with these thoughts:

"If there were just one gift that I could give you,
I would stand as a mirror to your life,
and you would see the way you've grown,
and see the way that you shine,
and see all the love that's in your eyes."

- Ellen Stapenhorst -

No comments: